Fridtjof Nansen Institute, Norway
- Full professor competence (Forsker 1), 2001.
- Cand. polit., University of Oslo, 1979 (political science, international relations)
- Senior Research Fellow at FNI (since 1987).
- Research Fellow at FNI (from 1979).
- Visiting Research Fellow, University of Washington, Seattle (1987-88).
- FNI Research Director (1992-97).
- Senior Research Fellow (part time), International Institute of Applied Systems Analysis (IIASA), Austria (1994-96).
- Visiting Research Fellow, Princeton University, USA (1997-98).
- Professor, Dept. of Political Science, University of Oslo (2002-2005).
- Visting Scholar, Brookings Institution, Washington DC, (fall 2012).
- Professor II, Pluricourts Center of Excellence, University of Oslo (2013-2015).
- Main focus on international agreements, regimes and international organizations, especially in the area of environment, but also international resource policy and international health issues. Some empirical examples are the climate regime, the whaling regime and various UN bodies. Focus on the effectiveness of the agreements and organizations and the significance of ‘institutional design’, leadership and the relation between science and policy.
Guri Bang, Arild Underdal and Steinar Andresen (eds.), Cheltenham, Edward Elgar, 2015, 216 p.
Norichika Kanie, Steinar Andresen and Peter M. Haas (eds.),London/New York, Routledge, 2014, 265 p.
Peer-Reviewed Articles and Chapters
Kristin Rosendal, Jon Birger Skjærseth and Steinar Andresen International Environmental Agreements: Politics, Law and Economics, published online 28.06.2019, 19 p. DOI: 10.1007/s10784-019-09447-6
Steinar Andresen Climate Law, Vol 9, 2019, pp. 122-136
Steinar Andresen In M.J.Peterson (ed), Contesting global environmental knowledge, norms and governance. London/New York, Routledge, 2019, pp. 110-125.
Steinar Andresen, Prativa Baral, Steven J. Hoffman and Patrick Fafard Global Challenges, Vol 2, No 9, 7 p. DOI: 10.1002/gch2.201800055
Steinar Andresen, G.Kristin Rosendal, Jon Birger Skjærseth International Environmental Agreements: Politics, Law and Economics, online 21.05.2018, 16 p. DOI: 10.1007/s10784-018-9401-5
Energi og Klima, 6.12.2018.
Masahiko Iguchi and Steinar Andresen Climate Policy Outlook 2017, CICEP, 2017.
Policy Innovations, 02.12.2015.
Kristin Rosendal and Steinar Andresen Trade Insights, Vol 11, No 2, 2015, pp. 29-32.
In J.F. Morin and A. Orsini (eds), Essential concepts of Global Environmental Governance. London, Routledge, 2014, pp. 104-106.
Christian Prip, G. Kristin Rosendal, Steinar Andresen and Morten Walløe Tvedt FNI Report 1/2014. Lysaker, FNI, 2014, 42 p.
Steinar Andresen and G. Kristin Rosendal FNI Report 4/2012. Lysaker, FNI, 2012, 22 p.
Kristin Rosendal and Steinar Andresen FNI Report 10/2003. Lysaker, FNI, 2004, 29 p.
Steinar Andresen and Lars H. Gulbrandsen FNI Report 4/2003. Lysaker, FNI, 2003, 22 p.
Steinar Andresen FNI Report 8/2002. Lysaker, FNI, 2002.
Steinar Andresen and Jørgen Wettestad FNI Report 19/2001. Lysaker, FNI, 2001, 21 p.